Sunday, September 24, 2023

Apple - Tree?

I was born early. My twin and I were premature. Small enough that the two of us slept in a dresser drawer for a while. We were close as babies and toddlers. We even had out own language we used while learning to talk. Mom would have to use our older sister to translate at times. We were partners in crime, sometimes literally with some of the things we got into. We once out a live chicken in bed with our parents because we thought it might be cold. We had to climb out of a bedroom window to get outside to catch it.

It was not cold.

Mom and dad were pretty hot about it.

Later, as we got a little older, my sisters grew a lot closer and it kind of became me vs. them in a few things. One this was that they had friends that were their friends and I was not a part of that group. So, I would once in a while find myself home with mom. She was always be my friend, and would do a lot of things with me like make Elderberry jam and syrup. One time, I was out playing in the yard and was climbing our apple tree. When I saw the apples in the tree, I went in and asked mom if we could make an apple pie.

Mom had me gather some of the apples while she started to make the crust. She was "teaching" a very young child how to make a pie. What she was really teaching me was to be thoughtful of others in need of a friend. At least to try to help someone be less lonely.


I try. And maybe, once in a while, I mange to be there for someone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment